Thursday, April 29, 2010

Red Cliffs

At the end of every trip I flip into what Nick calls my "Go-mode." That means it is time to pack up and get on the road as quickly and efficiently as possible. We had accomplished this and were headed North toward home when I mentioned that I really had wanted to go to Red Cliffs. We were just coming up to the exit and Nick said, "Then let's go." To which I responded, "No." We were on our way and, in my head, the vacation was over. Yet, after a bit more discussion, the car made its way off the freeway at the Leeds exit. Weird. This is what we found...

I feel like a southwestern version of "The Hills are Alive" would be appropriate here but I am also scared of what that might sound like. Don't they seem disappointed to be running outside and not driving home?


Option a) Hearing two hours of senseless knock-knock jokes. Option b) this picture. Let's take a vote. Rachel also seemed thrilled to be in her front carrier.


I kind of think the two pictures above stand by themselves. I know I have been guilty of picture overload for the last couple of posts but honestly, really, if you had these pictures you would post them too. Don't tell me you wouldn't.

This is the waterfall that you can slide down into the pool. We did not enjoy that activity on this particular trip but trust me when I say it is worth it.

Somehow making this spontaneous trip through the desert and up to the waterfall made Lizzie some sort of a superhero. Addie also was given some superpowers but instead of flaming sunshine hair, her outward manifestation is the ability to make incredible goofy faces. The jury is still out as to which is the superior power. But I think we all can agree that, at least in this case, the ability to switch out of go-mode and back into play-mode was well worth the time. So here is to spontaneity, superpowers, and getting home after midnight.

2 comments:

Andrea J said...

I too have go-mode. It doesn't even have to be a major event. I have go-mode for the grocery store, church, the library. Not sure where it comes from, but it's powerful.

Helen Macfarlane said...

Yes, you have the go-mode superpower. But even more super is your ability to turn off go-mode at a moment's notice. Not every mom can do that. It was WORTH IT!