Monday, June 1, 2009

Lizzie's Little Trip


We seem to be good at attracting late night visits to Primary Children's Hospital. Those visits used to consist of me bringing food to Natalie at work. Now we just bring sick kids. Lizzie had been struggling with a cold for about a week but it wasn't too bad. Then she woke up on Wednesday, May 2oth (Addie's birthday) really late around eleven and went back to sleep. She didn't really move all day. Nat says that she did get up off the couch once while watching the Backyardigans and spin around, once. She then promptly got back up on the couch. Anyway, after visiting Doctor Lisa, another prior employer for Nat and an awesome doctor, we were on our way up to Primary Children's. Note that this is the night of Addie's second birthday party. I missed the first one because of work, lame excuse. So I missed the second one while Lizzie scared everyone in the Emergency Room triage center and we got pushed in front of a whole lot of very unhappy looking people. After a lot of concern from the doctors and a lot of fluids it came out that she had RSV, in May. For those of you without kids, that is as likely as snow in Vegas; it happens, but it is very weird. That all sounds well and good but it took about three hours to get that tidbit of info. All the while they were pumping fluid into Lizzie like a water bed and she was getting more and more awake and less and less excited about sitting still with all of the tubes and wires on her. Anyway, after a very long discharge we took a happy, and fully hydrated, Lizzie home at around 12:00. All of this was complicated by the surprise that Natalie was preparing for me at the time. More on that later. Here are the pics of my sick kid. Yes, I took pictures in the hospital. No, I don't think that is weird.
Lizzie pre-fluids. When Lizzie can't even play with a phone you know something is wrong. Frighteningly enough, she was looking a lot better in this picture than she was before.

Let's just say she didn't love the IV thing. Fluids are a wonderful thing though.

Post-fluid Lizzie with her popsicle. The popsicle made her happy but mainly worked in hydrating my shorts.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Only in our family! Poor little thing I hope everything is okay now. I am worried Emmy has had a cold for about a week hopefully nothing worse. I am anxious to hear about your trip. Hope you guys had a blast.

Andrea J said...

In traditional Andrea fashion I'm teary up reading this, I just hate to see sick children. Glad you're feeling better lil Lizzie.

Rachel said...

sad! hopefully she is doing a lot better. hospital trips with kids are so tough. I have only had a couple and I'm sure there will be more. argh.