While we were there we traveled in typical style which is we ran around and saw anything and everything we could and didn't rest so much. It took me about a week to rest up after the trip until I was feeling somewhat normal again. I had never been there so the history and feeling of the place was amazing. Highlights include, well pretty much everything. The "Star Spangled Banner," Air and Space Museum (All of it), Lincoln Memorial, and Jefferson Memorial were definitely up on the list. Also, because we are nerds, we went to the zoo. We kind of like zoos. On top of all of the sights and experiences we got to hang out with the Derrs which made the trip that much better. Thanks for the tour guide and taxi services through Arlington and the Monuments. Not to mention the tasty dinner. I guess the company was OK too.
To get a little philisophical it really struck me how much those men and women beleived in what they were doing and how much potential there is in every person. The problem is being able to let it come out, being able to channel your efforts into the noble and good. Having the discipline to look past the distractions all around (like blogging.) I think the other thing is being able to recognize the nobel and good in my life. However mundane those tasks seem it is exactly those mundane tasks that those generations of men and women fought and died for. Anyway, that is about it on the philisophical side. Now some pictures.
Mr. Jefferson
Trust me when I say there is much more than this but this blog post is already too long. It was an amazing trip and an amazing surprise. Not a bad way to start out the next ten years. Until forty...? Really? Yikes.
2 comments:
I'm glad you had such a good time. You have an awesome wife! Thanks for spending as much time with us as you did. We miss you already.
Looks like a great trip. What an awesome wife to plan such a great trip. I am just sad we were not there to see you when you came. Happy B-Day Nick! Man you are getting old. :)
Post a Comment