Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Camping (sort of) and a Bit of a Monologue

Yesterday I came home from work to a car full of girls. One in the passenger seat and two in car seats in the back. Natalie told me to go change fast and get in the car. I had no idea where we were going. Once we started up American Fork canyon I got a clue. When we got up there we roasted hot dogs and had some other camping type of food. Natalie and Addie walked around the picnic site because Addie heard dragons and Lizzie stared fixedly at the fire (that's my girl.) After that we walked along the little nature walk in the dark. Addie thought the idea of night hiking was about the coolest thing ever. However she was not happy when we got in the car and not the tent. We didn't have the camera, hence no pictures, but the story is pretty good.

Now please excuse me while I opine for a second but sometimes I get so into doing the big things that I forget about jumping the car and going to have a picnic or similar activities. I guess I see going into the mountains as a departure from reality and not a part of it which is so funny seeing as though we are closer to the canyon than a lot of people are to a park. I am all about doing the big things but I realized that a lot of my best memories from growing up are times when we just decided to jump in the car and head outside for a couple of hours. Now, mind you, there were dishes to be done and the back lawn needs to be mowed more than my hair did freshman year, but those things are still there today and we have some memories of roasting hot dogs in the fall and fighting dragons. Alex, I do not expect you to be OK with this.

Maybe these realizations come as a result of gas prices and all of the other crap forcing us to look at staying home when we would have been out of town in a heartbeat but, whatever the reason, his heart or his shoes he stood there on Christmas Eve... oh wait, different story.

No comments: