Friday, March 6, 2009

Time Trial

While we were in California we went up to Solvang and watched the time trial in the Tour of California. For anyone (almost everyone) who doesn't care to see a lot of people they don't know and haven't heard of I will summarize- it was a lot of fun.
Now for a little more detail the time trial is a ton of fun to watch because you get to see a lot more of the actual race. We started at the finish line where you can watch the riders make their way through the crowds to start and then we headed over to watch the best guys finish. All the while finding our favorite riders, taking pictures, getting free stuff, and buying souvenirs.

I was really sad that one of my favorites dropped out after winning the first stage, but at least I got to see his amazing time trial bike.
Anyone recognize this guy? Yeah he just came riding by doing his warm up and then had to fight his way through the crowds to get back to his bus. Nick and I were getting pictures as fast as we could and saying Hi and generally freaking out when some lady said, "Who is that? Is he a good rider?" I told her that he won the tour last year and she said, "no Levi won the tour last year." I didn't get to explain to her that I was talking about the Tour de France not the Tour of California
Just a picture of Sastre and O'Grady.
This picture is for Poppi. I am not a Lance fan but he is and Addie was quite happy with her Lance paraphernalia.And the winner of the day and the tour.

This is Nick writing this portion. I have to explain that the picture above is of Natalie's sports crush, Ivan Basso. We stuck around there for a while to watch him warm up. After he was done my Dad got his water bottle and then, later, Nat got it signed by Mr. Basso himself. Pretty dang cool. Sadly he dropped out of the race that day. You can see the bandages on his knee. Apparently he crashed earlier in the day and had to call it.

4 comments:

Reza said...

I'm still postal for Lance!

Taryn and the boys said...

I have to say I'm a little more than completely jelous, maybe I'll get a turn one of these years?? (And Natalie I totally agree!!!)
I'm glad you clarified who the Addie picture was for or I might have to start worrying about you guys.

Jessica said...

What a great weekend. I am so glad you guys had a great trip. We are jealous that you were able to go to the time trial. We were watching on tv but wished we could have been there.

Taryn and the boys said...

Thanks for the Lance pic, anytime I can give Taryn a hard time about Lance I appreciate it. Tell Addie I need to borrow her sign, or a bigger one if she has it.